When to Consult an ENT Versus an Audiologist

Hearing is a complex sense, so it is no wonder that we sometimes have trouble deciding which type of professional to see for different hearing issues.

An Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) physician is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases of the ear, nose, mouth, and throat. In contrast, an audiologist is a hearing healthcare professional who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss. Audiologists have extensive knowledge of the human auditory system and are specially trained in how to accurately fit and adjust hearing aids.

Based on the above distinctions, you would want to first seek out an audiologist if you have noticed a change in your patients’ hearing or if they have been struggling to understand people in day to day situations. A decrease in hearing can manifest itself in many ways, for instance, asking people to repeat themselves, having more trouble hearing in crowds, having difficulty with women or children’s voices, or tinnitus (a ringing in the ears). We can also seek help from an Audiologist if we are concerned about a child’s speech and language development.

In comparison, we would want to seek help from an ENT physician if your patients’ have a sudden drop in hearing; if they are experiencing balance issues or ear pain; if the child has otitis media; or they have had trauma to the head or ear.

The Audiologists at Markham Hearing Centre provide comprehensive hearing health care to patients. We are also very fortunate to have 2 very competent ENT doctors (Dr. Jeffrey Werger and Dr. Dupe Oyewumi) who work in the same facility. We work together to ensure a complete approach to hearing health as well as a high standard of care for all patients.

If you have any questions or concerns, or would like us to provide you with a short presentation on our services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 905- 471-4479. Let your patients regain their lives through better hearing and find out for themselves how much better life can be.